Do not hesitage to give us a call. Our team will be happy to talk to you.
Here is Tlow’s 10-day backpacker road trip around the North Eastern regions of Assam, Meghalaya & Arunachal Pradesh. In 10 days we experience the cold weather of Tawang and the Monasteries in the region and then we move to the more colorful tropical plans of Shillong and Cherrapunji in Meghalaya.
Guwahati International Airport, Assam
KFC Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati
Seven days in Arunachal Pradesh & three days in Meghalaya. If your someone who likes to travel long and explore more rather than just doing the Morden day check in travel then this is the North east trip for you.
The conditions geographic & temperature of the two states will differ from extreme cold temperatures in Tawang to mild weather in Meghalaya.
Considering bother the states are in extreme opposite direction of each other expect a lot of travel on each day of the trip. The road trip around Tawang is extremely beautiful while at the same time the extreme weather conditions & high altitude make it a challenge to even sit in the vehicle. As the trip moves on you’ll get a hang of things and by the time we reach Shillong the Capital of Meghalaya, you’ll observe a striking change from a dull and dead winter vibe in Tawang to a hustling more modern vibe to all of Meghalaya.
– Arrive in Guwahati by latest 12:00 HRS
– Reach Paltan Bazaar Guwahati by 13:00 HRS.
– Meet tlow lead backpacker at Paltan Bazaar Bus stand.
– Board a Sumo to Shillong. (102km = 3 hours)
– Reach Shillong by 17:00 HRS & check into a hotel at Police Bazaar.
– Spend the rest of the evening self exploring Shillong on foot.
-Post breakfast, head to the Indo-Bangladesh open border town of Dawki. (82km = 2.5 hours)
– First stop is the living root bridge in the village of Riwai.
– Lunch at Mowlynnong, the cleanest village in Asia.
– Post lunch drive to Dawki.
– Reach Dawki by 16:00 HRS.
– Take the boat across the river for our island camping.
– Spend the night camping by the bon fire watching the stars in the sky.
– Post breakfast, leave by Sumo to Cherapunji.(84.6km = 2h 25min)
– Visit Nohkalikai falls & Mawsmai Caves.
– Post lunch check into our home stay for the night
– Write some post cards or
– Spend the evening at leisure.
– Post Breakfast by 08:00 HRS leave for the village of Tyrna.
– Reach the village and hike down the 3000 steps to the base village of Nongriat
– Explore the double decker root bridge.
– Return back to the parking lot by 2pm.
– Drive back to Shillong. 65km = 2 hours
– Reach Shillong & Check into the same hotel.
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– After breakfast leave from Kaziranga National Park. 200km = 5-7 hours
– Reach Kaziranga by 14:00 HRS.
– Check into our home stay for the night at Kohora Kaziranga.
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– Leave in the morning by 7:00 HRS for jeep safari.
– Return back to the home stay by 9:30 HRS.
– After breakfast drive to Bomdila. 210km = 6-7 hours
– Reach Bomdila by 6pm.
– Check into our guest house for the night.
– Rest of the evening at Leisure.
– Leave in the morning by 6:00 HRS for Tawang town.
– Cross Sela Pass & reach Tawang guest house in main market by lunch time.
– Check inn to the guest house.
– Post lunch leave for Tawang Monastery & War Memorial.
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– Post breakfast, leave for the high altitude lakes around Tawang.
– First visit the Indo-China border at Bumla.
– Then drive to the famous Shungetsar Lake also known as Madhuri Lake by the locals.
– On the return back, visit the majestic P.Tso lake.
– Return back to Tawang by 17:00 HRS.
– Spend the rest of the evening shopping in the flea market.
-> Leave in the morning by 5:00 HRS for Guwahati in Assam. 570km = 15-16 hours
– > Stop Enroute at Dirang Monastery.
-> Reach Guwahati by 20:00 HRS.
-> Check into our home stay at Guwahati for the night.
-> Last night in North East India
– Check out form the home stay by 11:00 Hrs
– Trip ends at check out time 12:00 Hrs
Q.Where is Assam, Meghalaya & Tawang located?
Assam, Meghalaya & Tawang are located in the North-Eastern state of India.
Q. Is it safe?
Yes, is safe to travel to. In Tawang, Sometimes, the weather does get bad with off season snowfall, rains, etc and also sometimes it gets hit by blizzards. Otherwise, it’s pretty safe.
Q. What about India-China ongoing border issues?
The issues with China are an ongoing thing which is at the border where travellers are not allowed to go to. It’s the media who creates a mountain out of a molehill.
Q. Are ATM’s available there?
Yes, there are plenty of ATMs in Assam, and Meghalaya and a few ATMs in Tawang.
Q. How much money to carry and in what denomination?
Amount of money totally depends on your choice. Please carry small and medium denominations like ₹50, ₹100, ₹200. Avoid carrying larger denomination notes.
Q. Is the climate cold?
Assam & Meghalaya is normally cold with night temperatures dropping to 8-9 degrees.
As Tawang is a Himalayan town, temperatures are cold there. Sometimes they drop below freezing point.
Q. Do we need a permit to travel to Tawang?
Yes. You will need an ILP (inner line permit) to enter Tawang.
Q. Where and how can I apply for a permit?
You can either apply online for E-ILP on the Arunachal Pradesh tourism website OR you can directly get a permit at Guwahati airport from the Arunachal Pradesh tourism office.
Q.How much does a permit cost?
For E-ILP, it will cost you between ₹150-₹200.
If you are taking a permit directly from Guwahati airport it will cost you around ₹500. But we would advise you to cross-check on that.
Q. How many days does it take for the online permit?
The permit is online and is generated in 24 hours.
Q. Is there proper network coverage?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Assam, Meghalaya & Tawang. BSNL, Airtel and Vodafone postpaid connections work. BSNL and Airtel are the best.
Q.Will prepaid work or postpaid?
Prepaid and postpaid work in Assam & Meghalaya.
Only postpaid network works in Tawang.
Q. What is the starting point of the trip?
It’s in Guwahati – Paltan Bazar.
Q. How to reach Paltan Bazar ?
There are government buses running every 45 minutes from Guwahati airport to Paltan Bazar. You can hop into one of those. A ticket will cost you between ₹110-₹120.
Q. Will there be a TLOW representative at the airport?
No. The trip will have a driver lead.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at, you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Will there be electricity in the accommodation?
Being a remotely accessible Himalayan town, Tawang doesn’t have electricity for all 24 hours of the day. You can get between 12-18 hours of electricity.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and homestay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in the North East.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
You will have plenty of options ranging from Tibetan, Chinese to local cuisines. Tawang has some good restaurants.
Q. Is it okay if I enroll solo for a trip?
Yes, it’s absolutely fine to enroll solo. All our trips have 70% solo travellers who enroll.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
As per the blueprint, it will be 7 seater Car/Tempo Traveller
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.