Here is The Land Of Wanderlust’s blueprint to a backpacking road trip around the North Eastern states of Meghalaya. A road trip with will start from Shillong and go all the way to the Indo Bangladesh village of Dawki. With a hike to the double decker root bridge in Cherrapunji. These six days will be nothing but magical
Guwahati International Airport, Assam
KFC Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati
Six days of mesmerising natural beauty things which will leave you spell bound. Whatever pictures & videos you have seen of the place nothing matches us to the real feel. The hike to the double decker root bridge along with camping at Dawki & the vibe in Shillong makes this for an entertaining trip when you add a bunch of random people mostly who enroll solo from different parts of the country.
The age category is usually between 25 to 55 years with 75% of the people following in the age bracket of 26-35. It’s a trip which takes you deep into one of the lesser known parts of India.
The trip is and end to end road trip which starts at Paltan Bazaar Guwahati & ends at the same place. From Shillong we will travel around in a private vehicle.
– Arrive in Guwahati by latest 12:00 HRS
– Reach Guwahati at Paltan Bazaar by 13:00 HRS.
– Post breakfast hop onto the vehicle to Shillong. (99km = 2.5 hours)
– Reach Shillong by 15:00 HRS and check into a guest house.
– Post lunch, leave for local site seeing and visit Wards Lake.
– Visit Bara Bazaar, the local Kashi market.
-Post breakfast, by 8:30 HRS head to the Indo-Bangladesh open border town of Dawki. (82km = 2.5 hours)
– Take a boat ride in the crystal clear waters of the river.
– Second stop is the living root bridge in the village of Riwai.
– Lunch at Mowlynnong, the cleanest village in Asia.
– Post lunch hop on to the vehicle and leave for Cherrapunji (85 km=3.5 hrs)
– Reach Cherrapunji by 18:00 HRS & check into our homestay at Cherrapunji
– Post breakfast leave in the morning by 09:00 HRS
– Reach Paltan Bazaar Guwahati by 11:00 HRS.
– Book any return flight or train post 13:39 HRS
– Post Breakfast hop onto the vehicle and Visit Nohkalikai Falls and Wei Sawdong falls & Mawsmai Caves.
– Reach Shillong by tea time and check into the same hotel at Police Bazaar.
– Spend the rest of the evening shopping or
– Experience the night life in Shillong.
– Last evening in the North East, make the most of it.
Where is Meghalaya located?
It is located in the North-Eastern side of India
Q. Is it safe?
Yes. Meghalaya is extremely safe to travel to. Tourists are not affected by any kind of conflict till date.
Q. What about internal conflicts which we see and see read about in the media?
Those issues are not a regular thing. It’s the internal parts of the state. Tourism being one of the important sources of their GDP, they don’t really harm the tourists.
Q. Are ATM’s available there?
Yes. There are plenty of ATMs in Guwahati as well as in Shillong.
Q. How much money to carry and in what denomination?
The amount of money totally depends on your choice. Please carry small and medium denominations like ₹50, ₹100, ₹200. Avoid carrying larger denomination notes.
Q. Is there proper network coverage?
Yes. Most parts of Meghalaya have flawless network coverage. Only areas Mawlynnong will have some issues. Otherwise, there will be full 4G network in all places for Airtel, Vodafone and Jio.
Q. Will prepaid work or postpaid?
Both have a proper network
Q. What is the starting point of the trip?
It’s in Guwahati – Paltan Bazar.
Q. How to reach Paltan Bazar ?
There are government buses running every 45 minutes from Guwahati airport to Paltan Bazar. You can hop into one of those. A ticket will cost you between ₹110-₹120.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip, we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in the North East.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
In Guwahati and Shillong, you’ll get everything from pizzas, burgers, dosas, etc as there are plenty of good restaurants. While in other places, it’s the basic Veg and Non-Veg Thali with a local taste.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
As per the blueprint, it will be a 4-seater or a 7-9 seater Car.
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.