Do not hesitage to give us a call. Our team will be happy to talk to you.
Here is tlow’s 10 day backpacker road trip around the North Eastern regions of Arunchal Pradesh & Meghalaya. In 10 days we experience the cold weather of Tawang and the Monasteries in the region and then we move to the more colorful tropical plans of Shillong and Cherrapunji in Meghalaya.
Guwahati International Airport, Assam
KFC Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati
Seven days in Arunachal Pradesh & three days in Meghalaya. If your someone who likes to travel long and explore more rather than just doing the Morden day check in travel then this is the North east trip for you.
The conditions geographic & temperature of the two states will differ from extreme cold temperatures in Tawang to mild weather in Meghalaya.
Considering bother the states are in extreme opposite direction of each other expect a lot of travel on each day of the trip. The road trip around Tawang is extremely beautiful while at the same time the extreme weather conditions & high altitude make it a challenge to even sit in the vehicle. As the trip moves on you’ll get a hang of things and by the time we reach Shillong the Capital of Meghalaya, you’ll observe a striking change from a dull and dead winter vibe in Tawang to a hustling more modern vibe to all of Meghalaya.
– Arrive in Guwahati by latest 12:00 HRS
– Reach Paltan Bazaar Guwahati by 13:00 HRS.
– Meet tlow lead backpacker at KFC Paltan Bazaar.
– Board a Non AC semi sleeper bus from Guwahati to Bomdila by 16:00 HRS. (338km = 9 hours)
– Arrive at Bomdila by 05:00 HRS.
– Leave in the morning by 06:00 HRS for the town of Dirang by shared sumo. (190km = 4 hours)
– Reach the high altitude river-side town and check into our home stay for the night.
– Post lunch, visit the river bank, town monastery and hot sulphur spring.
– Evening at leisure.
-Hop onto a shared sumo by 07:30 HRS for an adventurous and bumpy ride to the village of Tawang
– Crossing over the famous Sela Pass 13,746 ASL. (141km = 5 hours)
– Reach Tawang by 13:00 HRS and check into our guest house in the main market area.
– Post lunch, walk to the Tawang Gompa, the largest monastery in India.
– Spend the rest of the evening, strolling through the market area.
– Post breakfast, leave for the high altitude lakes around Tawang.
– First visit the Indo-China border at Bumla.
– Then drive to the famous Shungetsar Lake also known as Madhuri Lake by the locals.
– On the return back, visit the majestic P.Tso lake.
– Return back to Tawang by 17:00 HRS.
– Spend the rest of the evening shopping in the flea market.
-Board a shared sumo by 06:00 HRS and return back via Sela Pass for a night halt at the town of Bomdila. (170km = 6 hours)
– Reach Bomdila by noon and check into a guest houses.
– Walk around this tiny town and experience the Buddhist life.
– Visit the Gompas or sit and watch the sunset or a game of football at the Buddha stadium.
– Post breakfast hop into a vehicle for local site seeing.
– visit the hill Monastery & return back by noon.
– Check our and board the bus to Guwahati by 14:00 HRS.
– The same Semi sleeper Non AC bus leaves from Bomdila to Paltan Bazaar by 14:40 HRS.
– Arrive at Guwahati by 5:00 HRS in the morning
– Post breakfast hop onto a shared jeep to Shillong. (99km = 2.5 hours)
– Reach Shillong by 10:00 HRS and check into a guest house.
– Post lunch, leave for local site seeing and visit Wards Lake, Butterfly Museum.
– Visit Bara Bazaar, the local Kashi market.
Post breakfast, head to the Indo-Bangladesh open border town of Dawki. (82km = 2.5 hours)
– First stop is the living root bridge in the village of Riwai.
– Lunch at Mowlynnong, the cleanest village in Asia.
– Post lunch drive to Dawki.
– Reach Dawki by 16:00 HRS.
Post breakfast, leave by jeep to Cherapunji.(84.6km = 2h 25min)
– Visit Nohkalikai falls & Mawsmai Caves.
– Post lunch check into our home stay for the night
– Last night in the North East.
– Write some post cards & make the most of the last few hours together.
Post breakfast leave in the morning by 08:00 HRS
– Reach Paltan Bazaar Guwahati by 11:00 HRS.
– Book any return flight or train post 13:39 HRS
Q.Where is Tawang located?
It’s located in the North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, very close to the Indo-Chinese border.
Q. Is it safe?
Yes, Tawang is safe to travel to. Sometimes, the weather does get bad with off season snowfall, rains, etc and also sometimes it gets hit by blizzards. Otherwise, it’s pretty safe.
Q. What about India-China ongoing border issues?
The issues with China are an ongoing thing which is at the border where travellers are not allowed to go to. It’s the media who creates a mountain out of a molehill.
Q. Are ATM’s available there?
Yes, there are a few ATMs in Tawang.
Q. How much money to carry and in what denomination?
Amount of money totally depends on your choice. Please carry small and medium denominations like ₹50, ₹100, ₹200. Avoid carrying larger denomination notes.
Q. Is the climate cold?
As Tawang is a Himalayan town, temperatures are cold there. Sometimes they drop below freezing point.
Q. Do we need a permit to travel to Tawang?
Yes. You will need an ILP (inner line permit) to enter Tawang.
Q. Where and how can I apply for a permit?
You can either apply online for E-ILP on the Arunachal Pradesh tourism website OR you can directly get a permit at Guwahati airport from the Arunachal Pradesh tourism office.
Q.How much does a permit cost?
For E-ILP, it will cost you between ₹150-₹200.
If you are taking a permit directly from Guwahati airport it will cost you around ₹500. But we would advise you to cross-check on that.
Q. How many days does it take for the online permit?
It takes around 5-8 working days.
Q. Is there proper network coverage?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Tawang. BSNL, Airtel and Vodafone postpaid connections work. BSNL and Airtel are the best.
Q.Will prepaid work or postpaid?
Only postpaid network works in Tawang.
Q. What is the starting point of the trip?
It’s in Guwahati – Paltan Bazar.
Q. How to reach Paltan Bazar ?
There are government buses running every 45 minutes from Guwahati airport to Paltan Bazar. You can hop into one of those. A ticket will cost you between ₹110-₹120.
Q. Will there be a TLOW representative at the airport?
No. He/She will directly meet you at Paltan Bazar.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at, you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Will there be electricity in the accommodation?
Being a remotely accessible Himalayan town, Tawang doesn’t have electricity for all 24 hours of the day. You can get between 12-18 hours of electricity.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and homestay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in the North East.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
You will have plenty of options ranging from Tibetan, Chinese to local cuisines. Tawang has some good restaurants.
Q. Is it okay if I enroll solo for a trip?
Yes, it’s absolutely fine to enroll solo. All our trips have 70% solo travellers who enroll.
Q. What if I don’t get along with the other backpackers?
If no one talks to you, don’t worry our TLOW team member will be your friend and give you an experience of a lifetime.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
As per the blueprint, it will be a mix of local buses and shared jeeps.
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.