Rishikesh is well-connected by public transport, making it easy for travelers to reach this spiritual and adventure destination. Here’s how you can get to Rishikesh using public transport:
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Rishikesh is Jolly Grant Airport, which is located around 20 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a shared cab to reach Rishikesh.
2. By Train: It has its railway station called Rishikesh Railway Station, which is well-connected to major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. You can take a train from any of these cities to reach Rishikesh. From the railway station, you can hire a rickshaw or taxi to reach your destination within the city.
3. By Bus: It has a well-developed bus network and is connected to major cities and towns in North India. You can find regular buses from cities like Delhi, Dehradun, Haridwar, and Mussoorie to Rishikesh. Some popular bus operators include Uttarakhand State Road Transport Corporation (USRTC) and private bus operators.
Once you reach there, you can easily explore the city and nearby attractions using local transport like auto-rickshaws, cycle rickshaws, and taxis. There are also shared jeeps available for traveling to nearby destinations like Haridwar, Dehradun, and Mussoorie.
It is advisable to check the updated schedules and availability of public transport before planning your trip to the place.
Table of Contents
- Choose a Starting Point: Decide the city or town you’ll leave from to begin your journey to the place. Bus service between Rishikesh and major cities like Delhi, Haridwar, Dehradun, and others is excellent.
- Check Bus Services: Do some research and find the bus companies that run routes from your starting location to Rishikesh. Private bus companies and the Uttarakhand State Road Transport Corporation (USRTC) provide transportation to Rishikesh.
- Bus Stand: Locate the bus terminal or stand where buses to the place leave from your starting city. There may be many bus terminals in bigger cities.
- Booking Tickets: You may buy your bus tickets in advance (online or at a booking counter) or at the bus stop itself. It’s a good idea to purchase your ticket in advance, especially during the busiest travel times.
- Arrival Time: Be aware of the bus’s arrival time. Make sure you arrive at the bus stop well in advance of the specified departure time because buses often have set departure timings.
- Locate your bus at the bus stop before boarding it. Buses frequently have destination labels on them. In order to board the bus, provide your ticket to the driver or conductor.
- Travel Time: Depending on where you start, it will take you different amounts of time to get to the place. Be ready for a possibly long ride since the trip may take several hours.
- Comfort and Amenities: The bus’s degree of comfort and amenities might differ. There may be air conditioning on certain buses but not on others. Make sure you have the necessities on hand, including water, food, and other necessary personal things.
- Arrival: You will be dropped off at the Rishikesh bus station by the bus. When you get in the place, you may stroll about and take in all the sights.
- Determine the city from where you will board the train for Rishikesh by choosing your departure city. Trains go from major cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and others to Rishikesh.
- Check Train Services: Do some research and find the train companies that provide routes from your starting location to Rishikesh. To find trains and their timetables, check the Indian Railways’ official website (www.irctc.co.in).
- Purchase train tickets online on the official Indian Railways website, at counters located at railway stations, or from reputable travel companies. It is advised to purchase your tickets in advance, particularly if you are travelling during a busy time of year.
- Pick a Train: Pick a train that works with your schedule and price range. There are many classes of travel available on different trains, including sleeper, AC 3-Tier, AC 2-Tier, and more.
- Check the Train’s Departure Time and Platform: Make a note of the time and platform where your train will leave. Be to the train station well in advance of the departure time.
- Once at the train station, locate your train and the correct platform before boarding. Get on the train and find your bunk or seat. On your ticket, it will be noted if you have a reserved seat.
- Take pleasure in your train ride to Rishikesh. Train travel is a wonderful opportunity to take in the area’s natural splendour. Depending on where you start, the trip might take several hours.
- Arrival at Rishikesh Railway Station: The train will arrive there. When you get at Rishikesh, you may get off the boat and start seeing the town and its sights.
Tips to travel by public transport to Rishikesh
Here are some tips to reach Rishikesh by public transport:
1. Plan your journey in advance: Check the schedules and timings of trains, buses, or flights that connect to Rishikesh. It is advisable to book your tickets beforehand to avoid any last-minute hassles.
2. Choose the right mode of transport: Depending on your location and budget, choose the most convenient mode of transport. Trains and buses are usually cheaper options compared to flights, but flights can save you a lot of time if you’re coming from a distant city.
3. Check the nearest transportation hub: Rishikesh has its own railway station and is well-connected by road, so it is essential to check the nearest transportation hub to plan your journey accordingly.
4. Be prepared for the journey: Carry essentials like water, snacks, warm clothes (if traveling during winters), and any necessary medications. Public transport journeys can sometimes be long, so it’s better to be prepared.
5. Follow safety guidelines: During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is crucial to follow safety guidelines. Wear a mask, maintain social distancing, and carry hand sanitizers or disinfectant wipes.
6. Consider shared transportation options: In Rishikesh, shared jeeps or cabs are a common mode of transport to nearby destinations like Haridwar or Dehradun. These are affordable and easily available, but they may not follow fixed schedules, so plan your time accordingly.
7. Local transportation options: Once you reach Rishikesh, familiarize yourself with local transportation options like auto-rickshaws and cycle rickshaws for getting around the city. Negotiate the fares before boarding and ensure the driver uses a meter if available.
By following these tips, you can comfortably reach Rishikesh by public transport and make the most of your journey.