Are you looking for some Umngot river? If yes, then you are in the right place. The river is one of the cleanest rivers in Asia, and it flows through the scenic town of Dawki near the Indo-Bangladesh border. In this blog post, we will explore some interesting facts about this amazing river and why you should add it to your bucket list.
Table of Contents
What makes the Umngot river so clear?
The Umngot river originates from the Jaintia hills and passes through a limestone area before reaching Dawki. The limestone acts as a natural filter and removes any impurities from the water. The river also has a high dissolved oxygen level, which supports aquatic life and prevents algae growth. The result is a crystal-clear river that reflects the sky and the surrounding hills like a mirror.
What are some of the attractions and activities on the Umngot river?
The Umngot river is not only a natural wonder but also a popular tourist destination. There are many attractions and activities that you can enjoy on the river, such as:
- Dawki bridge: This is a suspension bridge that was built by the British in 1932. It connects India and Bangladesh and offers a stunning view of the river and the valley. You can walk or drive across the bridge and admire the scenery.
- Boating: This is the most popular activity on the river. You can rent a boat or a kayak and glide on the water. You will feel like you are floating on air as you see the fish and pebbles below you. You can also stop at some of the islands and beaches along the way and relax.
- Fishing: The Umngot river is home to many fish species, such as carp, catfish, eel, and trout. You can try your luck at fishing or watch the local fishermen use their traditional methods. You can also buy fresh fish from them and cook it on a campfire.
- Camping: If you want to spend more time on the river, you can camp on its banks or on one of its islands. There are many campsites that offer tents, bonfires, music, and food. You can enjoy the starry night and the soothing sound of the water.
- Trekking: If you are feeling adventurous, you can trek along the river or in the nearby hills. There are many trails that lead to waterfalls, caves, forests, and villages. You can witness the rich biodiversity and culture of Meghalaya.
When is the best time to visit the Umngot river?
The best time to visit the Umngot river is from October to April. This is when the weather is pleasant and dry, and the water level is low and clear. You can avoid the monsoon season from May to September, as the river becomes murky and dangerous due to heavy rainfall.
How to reach the Umngot river?
The Umngot river is located in Dawki, which is about 80 km from Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya. You can reach Dawki by road or by air.
- By road: You can take a bus or a taxi from Shillong to Dawki. The journey takes about 3 hours and passes through some beautiful landscapes. You can also rent a car or a bike and drive yourself.
- By air: You can fly to Guwahati airport, which is about 200 km from Dawki. From there, you can take a bus or a taxi to Shillong and then to Dawki.
The Umngot river is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. It offers a unique experience of seeing a clear river that looks like glass. You can also enjoy various activities on the river, such as boating, fishing, camping, and trekking. The Umngot river is a hidden gem in Meghalaya that will leave you spellbound.