- It is the headquarters of the East Khasi Hills district.
- Shillong situated at an average altitude of 4,908 feet (1,496 m) above sea level, with the highest point being Shillong Peak at 6,449 feet (1,966 m).
- Shillong is the 330th most populous city in India with a population of 143,229 according to the 2011 census.
- It has a very cool climate throughout the year. The summer months from March to June have a maximum temperature that goes up to 24°C and experiences a minimum temperature of 15°C. The winters in the Meghalaya capital are between November to February and are freezing cold with the minimum temperature dropping to as low as 2°C. The best thing about is its snow-capped peaks during the winters making it look just like a beautiful painting. The months of monsoon from June to September experience heavy rainfalls and very heavy winds. The best time to visit Shillong would be in the month of May when the weather is neither too cold nor warm.
- If you are looking to get to the capital by air, the nearest airport that you would have to touch base is Guwahati. You can continue your journey to Shillong from Guwahati either in a bus or by a private cab.
- The difference about Shillong from other hill stations is that you can opt for a helicopter ride between Guwahati & the capital as well. Guwahati is also the nearest railway station that you would need to get down in to go towards. It is very well connected by luxury and semi-luxury buses that offer frequent services to the towns and cities nearby.
- The first place that comes to mind when one talks about the capital is Cherrapunji, the wettest place in India that receives the maximum amount of rainfall.
- Cherrapunji is located 60 kms from the capital and is connected by regular bus services from the cities that carry visitors to and fro.
- In Shillong, six out of every 10 people know to play the guitar.
Another impressive statistic is that seven out of every 10 people are football fans.
–>For a similar experience, >>Click here