Nestled on the scenic coastline of the Arabian Sea in Maharashtra, Kelve is a tranquil and charming destination known for its pristine beaches and historical significance. This coastal gem has a history dating back centuries and is named after the Kelve village.
Kelve, often referred to as “Kelve Beach,” has been a place of historical importance due to its strategic location along trade routes. The name “Kelve” is believed to be derived from the Marathi word “Kevla,” meaning “isolated,” a fitting description of its peaceful and secluded beaches.
Kelve is a place where the past meets the present, with remnants of ancient forts and temples juxtaposed against the serene beauty of the Arabian Sea. It offers a serene getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Table of Contents
Taglines for Kelve, Maharashtra:
1. “Kelve: Where History Whispers in the Sea Breeze.”
2. “Kelve Beach: Where Tranquility Meets the Shore.”
Places to Visit Around Kelve:
1. Kelve Beach: The main attraction is the Beach itself, known for its golden sands and peaceful ambiance. It’s an ideal spot for sunbathing and long walks along the shore.
2. Kelva Fort: Explore the historic Fort, built by the Portuguese in the 16th century. It offers panoramic views of the surrounding area.
3. Sheetal Sagar Udyan: Visit this beautiful garden near Kelve Beach, perfect for a leisurely stroll amidst lush greenery.
4. Shirgaon Beach: Just a short distance from Kelve, Shirgaon Beach is another tranquil spot, ideal for relaxation and picnics.
5. Kelve Dam: This scenic dam is a great place for birdwatching and enjoying a peaceful atmosphere.
6. Tansa Wildlife Sanctuary: Located nearby, this sanctuary is home to various wildlife species and offers trekking opportunities.
7. Vasai Fort: Explore the historic Vasai Fort, a short drive from Kelve, which was once a significant Portuguese stronghold.
8. Kelwa Beach: Kelwa Beach is adjacent to Kelve Beach and offers a different beach experience with its unique charm.
9. Tadoba National Park: For wildlife enthusiasts, a visit to Tadoba National Park is a must, where you can spot tigers and other wildlife species.
10. Shitaladevi Temple: Pay your respects at the Shitaladevi Temple, an ancient Hindu temple with intricate architecture.
11. Mahalaxmi Temple: Another notable temple, the Mahalaxmi Temple, is known for its religious significance.
12. Tarapur Atomic Power Station: For those interested in science and technology, a guided tour of the Tarapur Atomic Power Station can be arranged.
13. Palghar Fort: Explore Palghar Fort, an ancient hill fort that offers panoramic views of the surrounding region.
14. Dahanu Beach: Dahanu Beach, a short drive away, is famous for its chikoo orchards and tranquil beaches.
15. Dahanu Bordi Beach: This pristine beach is known for its clean and unpolluted environment, making it a perfect spot for relaxation.
Best Time to Visit Kelve, Maharashtra:
The best time to visit Kelve and its surrounding attractions is during the winter months, from November to February. The weather is pleasant and cool, making it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the historical sites. Avoid visiting during the monsoon season (June to September) due to heavy rainfall, which may disrupt travel plans and beach activities.
10 Things to Avoid When in Kelve:
1. Littering: Please dispose of your trash responsibly and keep the beaches clean.
2. Disturbing Wildlife: Respect the local wildlife and refrain from disturbing animals.
3. Unauthorised Entry: Do not enter restricted areas, especially around forts and wildlife sanctuaries.
4. Alcohol Consumption: Avoid excessive alcohol consumption in public areas.
5. Overcrowding: Respect the serenity of the place by not overcrowding the beaches.
6. Ignoring Local Customs: Be aware of and respectful towards local customs and traditions.
7. Off-Roading: Avoid off-roading on beaches or in ecologically sensitive areas.
8. Overly Flashy Clothing: Dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites.
9. Noise Pollution: Keep noise levels low to maintain a peaceful atmosphere.
10. Unsafe Swimming: Be cautious while swimming and adhere to safety guidelines.
Things to Pack When Going to Kelve:
1. Beachwear: Pack swimwear, beach towels, and comfortable clothing.
2. Sun Protection: Bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat to protect from the sun.
3. Footwear: Comfortable sandals and walking shoes for exploring.
4. Medications: Carry any necessary medications and a basic first aid kit.
5. Camera: Don’t forget your camera or smartphone for capturing memories.
6. Reusable Water Bottle: Stay hydrated by carrying a refillable water bottle.
7. Snacks: Pack some snacks for the journey and beach picnics.
8. Cash: Have some cash on hand for local purchases, as ATM access may be limited.
9. Insect Repellent: Depending on the season, insect repellent can be useful.
10. Travel Documents: Keep essential travel documents like ID, hotel reservations, and maps in a waterproof bag.
With these essentials in your bag, you’ll be well.
Text by Gajanan Mudgeol