Kuruvadeep Island is a picturesque river island located in the district of Wayanad in the state of Kerala, India. It is a unique and enchanting destination that is formed by the Kabini River, which flows around it from all four sides.
Table of Contents
Spread over an area of around 950 acres, Kuruvadeep is known for its lush greenery, rich biodiversity, and untouched natural beauty.With its dense forests, natural streams, and rare aquatic species, the island offers a captivating experience for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts.
Boating around Kuruvadeep
Accessible only by a guided boat tour, Kuruvadeep provides a peaceful and serene getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.
With its walking trails, hanging bridges, and numerous eco-tourism activities, this uninhabited island is a must-visit destination for those seeking to immerse themselves in nature’s wonders.
Whether it is exploring the diverse flora and fauna, enjoying a picnic by the river, or indulging in adventurous activities like bamboo rafting and trekking, Kuruvadeep Island offers a memorable experience for all who visit.
1. Kuruvadeep is a river island located in the district of Wayanad in the state of Kerala, India.
Kuruvadweep, also known as Kuruva Island, is a group of small islands located in the Wayanad district of Kerala, India. It is situated on the Kabani River and is known for its lush greenery, dense forests, and pristine natural beauty. The island is spread over an area of about 950 acres and is home to various species of birds, butterflies, and orchids.
2. It is spread over an area of around 950 acres.
3. The island is formed by the Kabini River, which flows around it from all four sides.
4. Kuruvadeep is known for its rich biodiversity and is home to various species of plants, birds, and animals.
5. The island is covered with dense evergreen forests and is a haven for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts.
6. Visitors can explore the island by taking a guided boat tour, which is the only way to access it.
7. The island is uninhabited and is maintained by the Kerala Forest Department.
The main attraction of Kuruvadweep is the calm and serene environment, making it a popular destination among nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy activities such as bamboo rafting, nature walks, birdwatching, and picnicking amidst the picturesque surroundings.
8. It is believed that Kuruvadeep is one of the few freshwater islands in India.
9. The island is also known for its numerous natural streams and the presence of rare aquatic species.
10. Kuruvadeep is a popular picnic spot and attracts tourists from all over the world.
11. The island has several walking trails and hanging bridges that offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
12. Kuruvadeep is home to various species of butterflies, making it a paradise for butterfly enthusiasts.
13. The island is also famous for its numerous herbal plants, some of which have medicinal properties.
14. The forest department of Kerala organizes various eco-tourism activities on the island, including bird watching and trekking.
The island is accessible through a small ferry ride from the main entrance. However, it is important to note that prior permission from the Forest Department is required to visit Kuruvadweep.
15. Kuruvadeep is located near the Nagarhole National Park and is often included in wildlife safari itineraries.
16. The island is also a natural habitat for elephants, which can often be spotted during boat rides.
17. The Kabini River, surrounding the island, is a popular spot for bamboo rafting.
18. The island has limited facilities for tourists, including a few basic amenities like restrooms and seating areas.
19. Visitors are required to obtain permission from the forest department before entering Kuruvadeep.
20. Kuruvadeep has been recognized as an important ecological and heritage site by the government of Kerala.