Hunder is a small village in the Nubra Valley, about 150 km from Leh, the capital of Ladakh. To reach Hunder, you have to cross the Khardung La Pass, which is one of the highest motorable roads in the world, at an altitude of 5,359 meters. The journey is scenic and adventurous, but also challenging and tiring. You need to have a permit and a good driver to make it through.
Table of Contents
Once you cross the pass, you enter a different world in Hunder. The landscape changes from barren and rocky to green and fertile. The Nubra Valley is known as the orchard of Ladakh, as it produces a variety of fruits and vegetables. It is also home to the Shyok River, which flows through the valley and creates a beautiful oasis.
But the most surprising and fascinating part of the Nubra Valley is Hunder. Here, you can find vast stretches of sand dunes that look like they belong to a desert in Africa or the Middle East. But these are not ordinary sand dunes. They are high altitude cold desert sand dunes, located at about 3,000 meters above sea level. They are surrounded by poplar trees, grasslands, and rocky mountains. The contrast is surreal and mesmerizing.
The best way to explore the Hunder sand dunes is by taking a camel safari. But not just any camel safari. A double-humped Bactrian camel safari. These camels are native to Central and East Asia, and they are adapted to survive in cold and harsh environments. They have two humps that store fat, not water, and they have thick fur that protects them from the cold and dust. They are gentle and friendly animals that can carry up to 450 kg of load.
The camel safari takes you through the sand dunes, where you can enjoy the views of the mountains and the river. You can also see some wildlife, such as marmots, foxes, and birds. The safari lasts for about an hour, and it costs around 300 rupees per person. It is an unforgettable experience that you will cherish for a lifetime.
Hunder sand dunes are one of the most unique and beautiful places in India. They are a must-visit for anyone who loves nature and adventure. They are also a great place to relax and unwind after a long journey. You can stay in one of the many guest houses or campsites in Hunder village, where you can enjoy the local hospitality and cuisine. You can also visit the nearby Diskit monastery, which is one of the oldest and largest monasteries in Ladakh.
Hunder sand dunes are a hidden gem that will surprise you with their beauty and charm. They are a perfect example of how nature can create wonders that defy our imagination. If you ever get a chance to visit Ladakh, don’t miss out on Hunder sand dunes. They will make your trip unforgettable.
Here are some facts about this amazing place:
1. Hunder Sand Dunes are situated at an altitude of around 10,000 feet above sea level.
2. The sand dunes stretch over an area of about 7 km long and 2 km wide.
3. The sand in these dunes is predominantly soft and golden in color, giving them a unique and picturesque appearance.
4. Hunder Sand Dunes have become a popular tourist destination in recent years, attracting visitors from all over the world.
5. The area is known for its native population of Bactrian camels, which are found only in a few places in the world. These camels can be seen wandering around the dunes and are often used for camel safaris.
6. The Hunder Sand Dunes offer a mesmerizing view of the surrounding snow-capped mountains, adding to the charm of the place.
7. It is advisable to visit the sand dunes during the morning or evening hours when the weather is pleasant and the sunlight creates beautiful hues on the sand.
8. Various adventure activities like dune bashing, quad biking, and camel riding are available for tourists to enjoy in the Hunder Sand Dunes.
9. The village of Hunder, located nearby, offers accommodation options ranging from homestays to luxury camps, allowing visitors to have an immersive experience of the desert landscape.