Rishikesh, the holy town along the foothills of the Himalayas located along the Ganges is an ideal place to backpack during the dry months from October to May.
- A rucksack of a minimum 50 litres. (Must have)
- A day pack to move around with ease. (Must have)
- A camera with a minimum of 8GB. (Optional)
- A one litre water bottle along is a great thing for every person who hits the road. (Must have)
- A backpack rain cover.
- Two or three short sleeve cotton T-shirts or shirts during the summer months between October to May.
- One half pants and one long pants. Cargo pants are favourable due to multiple pockets and their quick dry quality. Please avoid carrying jeans.
- During the winter months from November to February carry winter clothing. Jacket, monkey cap, shawl, thick socks and gloves. Long thick pants will also be ideal.
- Sweatshirt. (During the winters)
- Three sets of undergarments and three sets of socks. Please avoid white socks.
- UV protected sun glares are a must. (Must have)
- Cap. (Must have during summer months)
- A thin towel is preferred to a thick one as it saves on space in the bag pack.
- A pair of shoes that are comfortable and have a good grip. Anklets are preferable.
- Slippers or flip-flops. (Must have)
- Rain sheet. (If you’re travelling during the monsoon)
- Toothpaste, toothbrush, soap bars, shampoo sachets or small bottle of shampoo.
- Toilet roll. (Must have)
- Paper soap, hand sanitizer, detergent soap sachets.
- Sunscreen with a minimum of 40 SPF. (Must have)
- Body sprays are also good, but glass bottled perfumes are better kept at home.
- Mosquito repellent cream.
- Two thin bed-sheets. (Optional)
- Power board to charge multiple gadgets is a must as most lodging and boarding places have only one plug point.
- A LED torch is a good thing to carry along as the lights tend to go. (Must have)
- Ten garbage bags to carry dirty clothes while travelling is good to have. These also help to junk the trash and keep the natural setting clean and green. (Must have)
- A small knife while on the road is a safety measure that is advised. (Optional)
- Glucose powder. (Must have)
- Tablets for headaches, diarrhoea, motion sickness.
- Medication for rashes.
- Sprain relief plasters.
- Personal medication if any.