Why everyone in their 20s should backpack
Backpacking is the most budget friendly and efficient form of travel. It is the outdoor recreation of extended travel involving camping and hiking for more than a day. It’s a very common activity among young and middle aged people usually done for the purpose of self reflection, meditation, thrill and to experience something different.
In this generation, most people in their 20s are either pursuing education, confused about where they’re going, or have just started their paying career. They find it difficult to make time for recreational activities and go on living the same repetitive routine without realising that this course of action ultimately leads to depression and lack of motivation.
The age of 18-25 is a crucial time for newly graduated kids to figure out their careers and their life ahead of them. In this situation, these kids usually end up confused as to what to pursue. The pressure is also built up by their parents and elderly relatives. This pressure usually contains subliminal messages via elders to “get settled and get married” or “get a good job and take care of your parents” or sometimes, especially in India, especially for girls “Get married first, you do not need to study. You can do whatever you want after marriage”. This pressure built up by elders takes a toll on the mental health of young adults who aspire to change their lives and demotivates them from doing anything.
Every person in their 20s deserves a chance to find themselves in a world that tells them what to do at every level of their lives.
So why should every person in their 20s backpack?
- People are prone to mental breakdowns and immense pressure regarding their lifestyle and choices in their 20s. Backpacking trips to natural places help in getting time to time breaks from the stress of daily mundane life and give a chance for young adults to relax in peace and enjoy the beauty of nature. This brings them positivity and increases their drive for more life changing experiences.
- Many young adults are unaware about the reality of life and consequences of certain actions. This is mainly due to naivety caused by the stress of studies and completing graduation on time. Backpacking and traveling around brings clarity to different life-related instances. It also improves the confidence level in conversations and while meeting new people.
- Backpacking increases mental stability and helps a person attain stronger focus while completing tasks.
- Backpacking helps young adults keep to time and be punctual. Waking up early in the morning for the next trek is very crucial to reach the next destination on time whilst backpacking. This sets a daily routine of sleeping and waking regularly everyday without hesitation or excuses.
- Hiking and camping during backpacking increases alertness throughout surrounding areas. It also helps maintain physical stability and balance.
- Backpacking lightens your mood since you’re traipsing through beautiful forest trails and crossing running streams. It brings great peace of mind and keeps stress away.
- Trekking and hiking for several days at a time shows you how fit you are and makes one understand that a workout routine is important in order to live a healthy life.
- The 20 year olds will become a lot more independent and free spirited after experiencing a single backpacking trip.
Summing up, people in their 20s should backpack to gain peace, get clarity, learn new skills and become independent in order to have a life that is under control.