This is Tlow’s six day backpacker road trip around the island nation of Sri Lanka. The trip which starts off on the beach town of Negombo and move to the Southern Districts of Galle & Matara with night stays in the lesser known villages of Bossa, Hikkaduwa, Marissa, Talalle. If your someone who’s looking for a budget international trip either solo or with your spouse this is the trip for you.
Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Our Sri Lanka road trip is an self exploration backpacking trip which, starts & ends at Colombo airport. The driver will double up as the trip lead for the entire journey from start to finish.
So on our Sri Lanka trips expect mostly backpackers above the age bracket of 25+. With 95% being female solo travellers between the age of 25-35. The highlight of our Sri Lanka trip is our home stay accommodation at each and every beach village that we will spend a night at.
If you’re a beach lover then Sri Lanka is an absolute must on your bucket list.
– Arrive at Bandaranaike airport by 12:00 HRS (noon)
– Check into the guest house at Negombo (11 km = 30 mins)
– Hop onto a speed boat to explore the lagoon 15:30 hours.
– Watch the sunset at the lagoon.
– Return back post sundown.
– Rest of the evening at leisure
– Leave around 8:00 HRS to the beach town of Boossa in Galle district. (148 = 4 hours)
– Reach Galle by lunchtime and explore the fort & lighthouse.
– Arrive at our beach view cabana stay at Boossa by 15:00 HRS. (12km = 30 minutes)
– Spend the rest of the evening at leisure.
– Go for a swim in the ocean or read a book and watch the sunset.
– Post breakfast by 11:00 HRS, drive to the beach town of Hikkaduwa. ( 12km= 4 hours)
– Check into our beach view homestay.
– Go snorkelling to Hikkaduwa beach.
– Return back to the homestay post sundown.
– Spend the rest of the evening exploring the town area cafes & flea market
– Post breakfast by 10:00 HRS, leave for the hippie town of Mirissa. (60 km = 2HRS)
– Reach Mirissa by 12:00 HRS and check into our homestay.
– Visit Parrot rock on Mirissa beach.
– Catch the waves and watch the sky change colours for sunset.
– Post sundown, attend a beach party or have dinner by the beach.
– Post breakfast by 10:00 HRS, leave for the remote beach of Talalla. (24km = 50 minutes)
– Reach Talalla by 12:00 HRS and check into our homestay for the night.
– Chill by the beach and enjoy your last day in the island country.
– Talalla is an excellent place to swim and body surf.
Day 6 Drive back to the airport
– Post breakfast by 09:00 HRS, drive to the airport. (195km)
– Reach the airport by 13:00 hours.
Q. Do Indians need a visa for Sri Lanka
Yes, you get an eVisa that you can apply at https://www.srilankaevisagov.com/apply-visa which takes around 72 hours to process.
Q. What currency works in Sri Lanka
USD is widely accepted across SriLanka, however, you may also get LKR (Lankan Rupees) at the airport in SriLanka. Usually, the availability of Lankan rupees is less in India. It is advisable to either exchange some small notes at the Sri Lanka Airport and carry additional USD
Q. What time do we have to reach the Sri Lanka Airport (Katunayake International Airport aka Bandaranaike International Airport)
Ideally, it is advisable to reach early morning before 12 Noon so that you can do most things on day 1 and also have enough time to rest
Accommodation related FAQs
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip. Except at Boossa, its a cabana stay.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and homestay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Why is lunch and dinner not included
Sri Lanka is known for its diverse cuisines and we give the freedom to our travellers to have what they like, explore your tastebuds
Q. Is there enough vegetarian food option available
Yes, there will be enough vegetarian food options
Network Related Questions
Q. How do I get a sim card in Sri Lanka?
The mobile phone providers are Dialog, Mobitel, Etisalat, Airtel and Hutch. As soon as you exit Sri Lanka Airport, you can choose any network and procure a sim.
Q. Is there a cell phone network in Sri Lanka?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Sri Lanka. Dialog is the best network provider for tourists.
Q. Is there 3G/4G in Sri Lanka?
Surprisingly there is an excellent 4G network all over.
Travel related FAQ
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
The entire road trip to Bhutan will be covered in an SUV.