Here is The Land Of Wanderlust’s blueprint to a backpacking road trip around the North Eastern states of Assam and Meghalaya. In Assam, we will backpack to Majuli, the largest river island in the world and Kaziranga National Park – the home of the one horn rhino. While in Meghalaya, we will make Shillong our base and visit the cleanest village in Asia and the living root bridge.
Guwahati International Airport, Assam
KFC Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati
The best tlow trip on the list. For multiple reasons first being this is the most you’ll possibly ever experience in seven days and we can bet on it. If you watch the video you’ll get a small glimpse into how many modes of transportation are used & how much the Geography & terrain has changed.
It’s a super fast trip with each day have a lot to do it kick starts with a bang in Assam & is the only tlow trip currency which includes a train journey along the way a complete backpacker experience with camping on the banks of the river Umngot in Dawki. But the best stay on this trip will without doubt be the bamboo hut at Majuli that island will definitely keep a part of your back the warmth of the place just makes you want to come back for more.
– Arrive in Guwahati by latest 12:00 HRS
– Reach Guwahati at Paltan Bazaar by 13:00 HRS.
– Board a bus to Kaziranga National Park. (193km = 4 hours)
– Reach by 19:00 HRS and check into a guest house.
– Spend the evening at leisure.
– Leave for an early morning jeep safari in Kaziranga National Park and spot the one horned rhino of Assam.
– Post breakfast, leave for Majuli- the largest river island in the world.
– Reach Jorhat by bus and take a two hour ferry ride from Nemati Ghat to Kamlabari at Majuli.
– Check in to a tribal bamboo hut home stay.
– Spend the rest of the day exploring the nearby villages.
– Post breakfast a day of self exploring.
– walk around or rent a cycle.
– Return back to our bamboo home stay by sunset.
– Rest of the evening spend time chilling with other travellers.
– Arrive at Guwahati by 5:00 HRS in the morning
– Post breakfast hop onto a shared jeep to Shillong. (99km = 2.5 hours)
– Reach Shillong by 10:00 HRS and check into a guest house.
– Post lunch, leave for local site seeing and visit Wards Lake, Butterfly Museum.
– Visit Bara Bazaar, the local Kashi market.
-After breakfast, visit the villages of the Missing tribe,
– Try the local rice beer first hand with the villagers.
– Visit the Mask making village
– Post lunch, leave for Jorhat
– Take overnight bus/train ride to Guwahati around 19:00 HRS.
-Post breakfast, head to the Indo-Bangladesh open border town of Dawki. (82km = 2.5 hours)
– First stop is the living root bridge in the village of Riwai.
– Lunch at Mowlynnong, the cleanest village in Asia.
– Post lunch drive to Dawki.
– Reach Dawki by 16:00 HRS.
– Take the boat across the river for our island camping.
– Spend the night by the bon fire watching the stars in the sky.
– Post breakfast, leave by jeep to Cherapunji.(84.6km = 2h 25min)
– Visit Nohkalikai falls & Mawsmai Caves.
– Post lunch check into our home stay for the night
– Last night in the North East.
– Write some post cards & make the most of the last few hours together.
– Post Breakfast by 08:00 HRS leave for the village of Tyrna.
– Reach the village and hike down the 3000 steps to the base village of Nongriat
– Explore the double decker root bridge and Rainbow waterfall.
– Return back to the parking lot before sun down.
– Drive back to our home stay for the night.
– Spend the evening at leisure.
– Post breakfast leave in the morning by 08:00 HRS
– Reach Paltan Bazaar Guwahati by 11:00 HRS.
– Book any return flight or train post 13:39 HRS
Q.Where are Assam and Meghalaya located?
They are located in the North-Eastern side of India
Q. Is it safe?
Yes. Assam and Meghalaya are extremely safe to travel to. Tourists are not affected by any kind of conflict till date.
Q. What about internal conflicts which we see and see read about in the media?
Those issues are not a regular thing. It’s the internal parts of the state. Tourism being one of the important sources of their GDP, they don’t really harm the tourists.
Q. Are ATM’s available there?
Yes. There are plenty of ATMs in Guwahati as well as in Shillong.
Q. How much money to carry and in what denomination?
The amount of money totally depends on your choice. Please carry small and medium denominations like ₹50, ₹100, ₹200. Avoid carrying larger denomination notes.
Q. Is there proper network coverage?
Yes. Most parts of Assam and Meghalaya have flawless network coverage. Only areas like Dawki, Mawlynnong will have some issues. Otherwise, there will be full 4G network in all places for Airtel, Vodafone and Jio.
Q. Will prepaid work or postpaid?
Both have a proper network
Q. What is the starting point of the trip?
It’s in Guwahati – Paltan Bazar.
Q. How to reach Paltan Bazar?
There are government buses running every 45 minutes from Guwahati airport to Paltan Bazar. You can hop into one of those. A ticket will cost you between ₹110-₹120.
Q. Will there be a TLOW representative at the airport?
No. He/She will directly meet you at Paltan Bazar.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip. And in Majuli, we will be staying in bamboos huts which is a one of a kind experience.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Can I see images of the rooms ?
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip, we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in the North East.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
In Guwahati and Shillong, you’ll get everything from pizzas, burgers, dosas, etc as there are plenty of good restaurants. While in other places, it’s the basic Veg and Non-Veg Thali with a local taste.
Q. Is it okay if I enroll solo for a trip?
Yes, it’s absolutely fine to enroll solo. All our trips have 70% of solo travellers who enroll.
Q. What if I don’t get along with the other backpackers?
If no one talks to you, don’t worry our TLOW team members will be your friend and give you an experience of a lifetime.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
As per the blueprint, it will be a mix of local buses, local trains and shared jeeps.
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.