Do not hesitage to give us a call. Our team will be happy to talk to you.
Here is TLOW’s Six day blueprint around the North Eastern Himalayan gem of Tawang also known as the land of Monpas. Our road trip starts off from Guwahati in Assam and goes all the way to the Indo-China border covering some of the most remote villages in Arunchal Pradesh.
Guwahati International Airport, Assam
Down Town, Dispur, Guwahati
Arguably the most under rated road trip in India. It’s just a place so Far East that not many have even considered giving it a thought. If you have been to Ladakh or Spiti Valley the expect Tawang to take the barren rugged feel a notch higher.
With the Indi-China border at Bumla & SeLa pass to cross this trip has a bit of everything. Imagine sunrise at 4am & sunset at 4pm. The last order for dinner is usually at 8pm in any restaurant in Tawang. It’s a place like none other in India.
The home stays in Dirang & Tawang will leave you with memories of a life time. The road trip around Tawang where you’ll drive past countless number of frozen lakes. If your looking for a raw rugged experience far away from civilisation then Tawang is the place.
– Arrive in Guwahati by latest 12:00 HRS
– Check-in at the homestay for the night
– Rest of the evening at leisure
– Leave in the morning by 06:00 HRS for the town of Dirang by Private Car (Dzire or Sumo). (322km = 10 hours)
– Reach the high-altitude river-side town by tea time and check into our homestay for the night.
– Post tea, visit the town monastery.
– Acclimatisation is why Dirang is an important spot over. Rest well
– Evening at leisure.
-Hop onto the vehicle by 06:30 HRS for an adventurous and bumpy ride to the village of Tawang
– Crossing over the famous Sela Pass 13,746 ASL. (141km = 5 hours)
– Reach Tawang by 13:00 HRS and check into our guest house in the main market area.
– Post lunch, walk to the Tawang Gompa, the largest monastery in India.
– Visit the giant buddha statue at Buddha Park & the war memorial.
– Spend the rest of the evening, strolling through the market area.
– Post breakfast, leave for the high altitude lakes around Tawang.
– The first visit is the drive to the famous Sungestar Lake also known as Madhuri Lake by the locals.
– Then drive to the Indo-China border at Bumla. via Y-Junction.
– On the return back, stop for photo at the majestic P.Tso lake.
– Return back to Tawang by 15:00 HRS.
– Spend the rest of the evening shopping in the flea market.
– pack and leave by 6:00 HRS for Guwahati. (520 km)
– Cross Sela Pass
– Lunch at BhalukpongTown
– Arrive at Guwahati homestay by 20:00 HRS.
– breakfast at homestay 7-8:30 HRS
– Trip ends by 12:00 HRS
Q. Where is Tawang located?
It’s located in the North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, very close to the Indo-Chinese border.
Q. Is it safe?
Yes, Tawang is safe to travel to. Sometimes, the weather does get bad with offseason snowfall, rains, etc and also sometimes it gets hit by blizzards. Otherwise, it’s pretty safe.
Q. What about India-China ongoing border issues?
The issues with China are an ongoing thing which is at the border where travellers are not allowed to go to. It’s the media who creates a mountain out of a molehill.
Q. Are ATM’s available there?
Yes, there are a few ATMs in Tawang.
Q. How much money to carry and in what denomination?
Amount of money totally depends on your choice. Please carry small and medium denominations like ₹50, ₹100, ₹200. Avoid carrying larger denomination notes.
Q. Is the climate cold?
As Tawang is a Himalayan town, temperatures are cold there. Sometimes they drop below freezing point.
Q. Do we need a permit to travel to Tawang?
Yes. You will need an ILP (inner line permit) to enter Tawang.
Q What is the link to apply for an ILP?
Q. Where and how can I apply for a permit?
You can either apply online for E-ILP on the Arunachal Pradesh tourism website OR you can directly get a permit at Guwahati airport from the Arunachal Pradesh tourism office.
Q.How much does a permit cost?
For E-ILP, it will cost you between ₹500.
If you are taking a permit directly from Guwahati airport it will cost you around ₹500-800. But we would advise you to cross-check on that.
Q. How many days does it take for the online permit?
On filling the application and post payment you will receive the E-Permit immediately.
Q. In the permit, what districts should I add?
A: Tawang and West Kameng is the district to be added.
Q. Is there proper network coverage?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Tawang. BSNL, Airtel and Vodafone postpaid connections work. BSNL and Airtel are the best.
Q.Will prepaid work or postpaid?
Only postpaid network works in Tawang.
Q. What is the starting point of the trip?
A: You will be received from the airport/ train staion.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at, you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will there be electricity in the accommodation?
Being a remotely accessible Himalayan town, Tawang doesn’t have electricity for all 24 hours of the day. You can get between 12-18 hours of electricity.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and homestay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in the North East.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
You will have plenty of options ranging from Tibetan, Chinese to local cuisines. Tawang has some good restaurants.
Q. What is the staple food ?
Breakfast : Puri Bhaji
Lunch & Dinner : Thali (rice + dal + 2 shabji + Papad pickle)
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
As per the blueprint, it will be a hatchback(4 seaters)/ SUV (8 seater)depending on the plan..
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.