Do not hesitage to give us a call. Our team will be happy to talk to you.
Here is The Land Of Wanderlust’s blueprint to a road trip through the Trans-Himalayan region of Ladakh, which is also known for its barren rugged mountains, beautiful monastery’s and funny road captions.
So this is a trip meant for the ones who are very skeptical about going to Srinagar. It’s a lot more travel but with Ladakh in mind, it’s definitely worth the extra travel.
The weather in August being summer is extremely hot in the day time so expect the maximum to be around 35°C & the minimum to drop to as low as even 2°C. Come prepared for a lot of travel with each day consuming around 7-10 hours of travel.
Expect to meet people from around the world on this trip. Even if you plan on enrolling solo that’s not a problem at all you will end up making friends with the other solo travellers & strangers along the journey.
– Reach Leh by 10:00 HRS.
– Hop on to the car waiting at Leh Airport
– Reach our homestay at Leh old fort road by 10:20 HRS.
– Check into a homestay.
– Spend the rest of the evening exploring the town of Leh on foot.
– Post breakfast leave for Leh sightseeing
– Drive along the Indus river and halt at Indus-Zanskar river Sangam ,
– Visit the Pathar Sahib Gurdwara, Magnetic Hill, Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace & Leh Hall of Fame (museum of the Kargil War memorabilia)
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– Post breakfast leave by car to the villages of Diskit and Hunder in Nubra Valley.
– Stop at Khardung La one of the highest motor-able roads in the world, 18,380 ft.
– Lunch at Koksar 10km after crossing Khardhungla.
– Drive to the Giant Maitreya Buddha statue located in the village of Diskit.
– Reach our homestay in Hunder by 15:00 HRS.
– Freshen up & leave for the sand dunes by 17:00 HRs.
– Return back to our homestay, by 20:00.
– Stargaze all night as you. Watch the night sky.
– After breakfast, pack up and head to the beautiful high altitude Pangong Tso via Shayok link road. (152 km = 4-5 hours)
– Reach Tangtse village by lunch time.
– Check into our home stay for the night.
– Post lunch, drive 30 kms and reach Pangong Tso by 15:30 HRS.
– Spend the rest of the evening chilling near the beautiful Pangong Tso.
– Return to the home stay around dinner time.
– Post breakfast, pack-up from Tangtse and head back to the town of Leh via Chang-La. (120km= 4-5 hours)
– Enroute visit Rancho School & Thicksey Monastery.
– Reach Leh by 14:00 HRS and check our home stay for the night.
– Rest of the day at leisure.
– Drive back to Leh Airport
Q. Where is Ladakh located?
Ladakh is a region administered by India as a Union territory.
Q. Is Ladakh safe?
Yes, Ladakh is an extremely safe place to travel to. Unlike the rest of J&K, Ladakh has not been affected by any kind of conflict till date.
Q. What about the Chinese issue?
The issues with China are an ongoing thing which is at the border where travellers are not allowed to go to. It’s the media who create a mountain out of a mole.
Q. Is there a cell phone network in Ladakh?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Ladakh. BSNL, Airtel and Vodafone postpaid connection work. BSNL and Airtel are the best. Only postpaid connections work in Ladakh.
Q. Is there 3G/4G in Ladakh?
As of October 2017, Ladakh had only edge and edge plus (2G) in the town of Leh. So basically WhatsApp works. BSNL has the best data coverage in Ladakh.
Q. Does Airtel and Vodafone work in Pangong Tso, Nubra Valley and Tso Moriri?
Only BSNL has a cellular connection in these regions and that too is very scratchy.
Q. Where will we meet the tlow representative for the trip?
Our tlow representative will meet you at Leh guest house.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guest houses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and homestay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in Ladakh.
Q. Do we need to carry food along?
Not needed. Every place we stay at will have either a cafe or a Ladakh family who will cook for us.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
In Manali, Leh and Srinagar you’ll get everything from pizza to dosa. While in other regions, it’s the basic rajma dal (kidney beans) rice, pickle, mix vegetables and rotis with some local chicken curry.
Q. Can we cook?
Yes, you can cook in our homestay in Leh. Provided you make the time.
Q. How do I avoid altitude sickness?
The only way to avoid altitude sickness is to rest well, keep yourself hydrated and have plenty of water.
Q. What about motion sickness?
Consult your local physician is the best for motion sickness.
Q. What about the oxygen level?
The oxygen is indeed very thin in Ladakh but if you remember to keep yourself hydrated with small sips of water, it should not bother you.
Q. Is there a hospital in Leh-Ladakh?
Yes, every town and village in Ladakh has a health centre.
Q. Why do we need a ILP in Ladakh?
Since Ladakh is a vast desert, the ILP is needed to help keep a track of travelers. So if lost, tracking the person will be a little easier.
Q. How do we get the ILP?
Our tlow representative on the Ladakh trip will get the ILP done once you submit the documents to them on the trip.
Q. What documents do I need to submit?
Two photocopies (Xerox) of your identification proof which has your residential address example: Aadhar card, driving license, passport.
Q. Is it okay if I enroll solo for a trip?
Yes, it’s absolutely fine to enroll solo. All our trips have 70% solo travelers who enroll.
Q. What if I don’t get along with the other backpackers?
If no one talks to you, don’t worry our tlow team members will be your friend and give you an experience of a lifetime.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
While in Ladakh we will be using a combination of multiple modes of transportation.
Q. Within Ladakh?
A 14 seater tempo traveller.
Q. Is this a biking trip?
No, this is not a biking trip but a backpacking trip.
Q. What if we want to go biking?
You can hire a bike in Leh and ride around while in Ladakh. The tlow representative will guide you through the process.
Q. So how does it all pan out?
Based on the number of bikers we suggest you’ll hire a couple of bikes and relay it all along the three-day journey around Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso and Leh town.
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.
Q. What if there is a lockdown?
If the lockdown starts again, there won’t be any refund but you’ll get a change of date. You can come anytime when the world restarts or you feel it’s safe to travel again.
Q. What if I test positive for covid-19?
If any traveller happens to test positive before the trip, we will offer wallet money in exchange for the amount paid. You can come anytime when the world restarts or you feel it’s safe to travel again.