Do not hesitage to give us a call. Our team will be happy to talk to you.
With the zeal to discover new places on the rise and the ever reducing leave situation for young cooperates who want to explore but can never get more than a week away from the desk job, we at tlow have come up with a 10 day backpacker road trip around Spiti Valley which covers everything in a nutsell without you having to break the bank or the need to plead with your HR team for too much leave.
Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi
ISBT Kashmere gate, Delhi
If you can’t make it for the 11 day road trip to Spiti Valley, then this is your next best option. This particular trip covers everything there is to explore in Spiti Valley without making the trip a rush one.
When your travelling to a place as remote as Spiti Valley you need time & 10 days is just about enough to get to experience the culture of the valley & it’s people while at the same time long travel to get to Spiti valley & out of it is spread over a week which makes it a lot more comfortable on the human body.
Expect the weather to be hot during the day time (dry heat) & extremely cold and windy after sundown. That crowd that this trip attracts is generally a mix of solo backpackers from around the country which girls making up 70% of the group size.
If your looking to disconnect from the smart phone then Spiti Valley is the place for you.
– Arrive at New Delhi by 16:00 HRS
– Reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate by 19:00 HRS.
-Board a Volvo HRTC semi sleeper bus to Mandi at 20:00 HRS.
– Reach Mandi by 09:00 HRS & meet tlow lead backpacker.
– Breakfast at Mandi bus stop.
– Hop onto our temp traveller to the Yolo Camping (tlow head office).
– Reach Yolo Camping by 12:00 HRS & check in.
– Freshen up & relax it’s a day to acclimatise
– Spend the rest of the day relaxing on the banks of the River Parvati..
-Leave early in the morning by 05:30 HRS
– First cross over Rohtang La 13,054ft.
– Reach our campsite at Batal by 14:00 HRS.
– Spend the evening exploring the area around.
– Remember to always have your head covered.
– Evening sit by the bonfire at watch the night sky.
– Start in the morning by 05:00 HRS.
– Cross Kunzum La 15,059 ft.
– Reach Chandartal by 08:00 HRS.
– Hike the last 2.5km to the lake.
– Return back to the parking lot by 12:00 HRS.
– Lunch halt at Lossar.
– Post lunch Visit Key Monastery.
– Drive to Tabo for our night stay.
– Reach Tabo by 16:00 HRS & check into our Guest house for the night.
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– Visit the Tabo Monastery & pack up post breakfast.
– At 10:00 HRS leave for the cliff village of Dhankar 32km drive.
– Reach Dhankar and check into a guest house.
– Visit the cliff monastery and the Dhankar village.
– Hike to the breathtaking Dhankar Lake – 2 hr hike
– Return back to the Guest house by sun down.
– Post breakfast drive to the handicraft village of Demul. (35km = 80 mins)
– Reach Demul & the village coordinator will assign 3 backpackers to one family.
– The group will be split into sets of three & each set will live with a different family.
– The village still has only organic toilets. (No water)
– spend the evening walking through the fields, talking to your host or
– Join the villagers in a evening game of Cricket or Vollyball.
– All meals will be provided by the home stay family & will cost ₹400/person (all meals)
– Post breakfast say good by to your family and drive to Komic.
– Reach Komic the worlds highest village with a road in 60 minutes.
– Wander around the monastery & drive to the village of Hikkim.
– Hikkim houses the highest post office in the world at 14,440 ft.
– Post your tlow post cards & drive to the village of Langza.
– Reach Langza & check into our home stay for the night.
– Spend evening playing with the village children in the farm.
– Remember to watch the sky in the night. You’ll see a million stars.
– All meals will be provided by the home stay family & will cost a total of ₹400/person
– Post breakfast, head back to the town of Manali.
– Refuel at Kaza worlds highest refunding station.
– Drive back the same road to Manali.
– Lunch at Lossar.
– Network will return once you start to decline from Rohtang La.
– Reach Old Manali by 17:00 HRS.
– Rest of the evening at leisure.
– Last day in the Himalayas.
– Spend first half of the day wandering through the flea market or
– Chill in one of the numerous cafes.
– Pack up & leave for new Manali
– Board a Volvo HRTC bus from New Delhi to ISBT New Delhi at 17:00 HRS.
– Arrive at ISBT New Delhi by 09:00 HRS.
Where is Kinnaur and Spiti Valley located?
In Himachal Pradesh of North India.
Is Kinnaur and Spiti Valley safe?
Yes, Kinnaur and Spiti are an extremely safe region of Himachal Pradesh.
What about the Chinese issue?
The issues with China are an ongoing thing which is at the border where travellers are not allowed to go to. It’s the media who creates a mountain out of a molehill.
Q. Is there cell phone network in Kinnaur and Spiti Valley?
Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Kinnaur but not in Spiti Valley. BSNL, Airtel and Vodafone postpaid connection work in Kinnaur Valley up to Poh, BSNL and Airtel are the best. Only BSNL postpaid connections works in Spiti Valley.
Q. Is there 3G/4G in Kinnaur and Spiti Valley?
As of October 2017, Kinnaur and Spiti Valley had only edge and edge plus (2G) in Tabo, Dhankar and Kaza. So basically, WhatsApp works. BSNL has the best and is the only data provider in Spiti Valley
Q. Does Airtel, BSNL or Vodafone work in Chandar Tal?
Only BSNL has a cellular connection near Chandar Tal.
Q. Where does the trip start in New Delhi?
The trip starts at ISBT Kashmiri Gate New Delhi bus station.
Q. What time should we reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate?
Around 60 minutes prior to the departure of the bus is a good time to reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate.
Q. How to reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate?
-From the airport take a direct AC bus which leaves every 30 minutes. Good options if you want to avoid the metro rush.
-Take a shuttle bus to the airport metro and then an express metro to New Delhi and finally take the yellow line to Kashmiri Gate. (Fastest way to reach ISBT)
Q. Where will we meet the tlow representative for the trip?
Our tlow representative will meet you at either Rampur or Tirtan Valley based on the start point of the trip.
Q. So we have to board the bus all alone?
You won’t be alone, you’ll be with the rest of the group and our WhatsApp group which is made 36-40 hours before the start of the trip will be used as the platform to co-ordinate.
Q. What kind of accommodation will be provided?
We will be using homestays and guesthouses all along the trip.
Q. Will the accommodation be clean?
Since no one in the world likes to keep their home untidy, it’s safe to say that every place we stay at will be clean and will give you a homely feel.
Q. Will we get a bed, blankets and pillows?
Yes, at every place we stay at you’ll get a blanket, a pillow and if not a bed then surely a mattress to sleep on.
Q. Will we get hot water for a bath?
Every guest house and home stay we stay at will have geysers so you’ll surely get to have a bath at least once a day.
Q. Will the rooms be based on gender or mixed?
It will be girls in a separate room and boys in a separate room, for all those backpacking solo.
Q. Why is food not included?
Since this is a backpacking trip, we want to leave the eating for you’ll to explore on your own. You’ll never go hungry in Spiti Valley.
Q. Do we need to carry food along?
Not needed. Every place we stay at will have either a cafe or a Spitian family who will cook for us.
Q. What kind of food should we expect to get?
In every town and village, you’ll get a variety of food options from pastas and to pizzas to choose from. There will also be home cooked meals in remote villages which the locals will prepare.
Q. Can we cook?
Yes, you can cook in our homestays. Provided you make the time.
Q. How to I avoid altitude sickness?
The only way to avoid altitude sickness is to rest well, keep yourself hydrated and have plenty of water.
Q. What about motion sickness?
Consult your local physician is the best for motion sickness.
Q. What about the oxygen level?
The oxygen is indeed very thin in Spiti Valley but if you remember to keep yourself hydrated with small sips of water, it should not bother you.
Q. Is there a hospital in Kinnaur and Spiti Valley?
Yes, every town and village of Spiti Valley has a health centre.
Q. Is it okay if I enroll solo for a trip?
Yes, it’s absolutely fine to enroll solo. All our trips have 70% solo travelers who enroll.
Q. What if I don’t get along with the other backpackers?
If no one talks to you, don’t worry our tlow team members will be your friend and give you an experience of a lifetime.
Q. What will be our mode of transportation?
While in Kinnaur and Spiti Valley we will be using a combination of HRTC Volvo buses and a tempo traveller (14 seater mini bus).
ISBT Kashmiri Gate to Rampur or Mandi
HRTC Volvo bus.
A 14 seater Tempo traveller.
Manali/Rampur to ISBT Kashmiri gate New Delhi
HRTC Volvo bus.
TLOW, based on the Cancellation Date, shall withhold the following amounts stated in the table below, from the Booking Amount or Trip Price as cancellation charges and refund the remainder to you. The refund shall be paid to you, within (21) calendar days from the Cancellation Date.
Cancellation Date is: Cancellation charges
– Before forty (40) calendar days prior to the date of commencement of Trip, 15% of the Trip Price
– On or after forty (40) calendar days but prior to thirty (30) calendar days day of commencement of Trip,
30% of the Trip Price
– On or after thirty (30) calendar days but prior twenty five (25) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
50% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty five (25) calendar days but prior to twenty (20) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
75% of the Trip Price
– On or after twenty (20) calendar days but prior fifteen (15) calendar days from day of commencement of Trip
100% of the Trip Price
You may claim refund only in case of a confirmed booking where you have paid the entire Booking Amount. Where there is part payment of Booking Amount made the same shall be forfeited and there shall be no refund. The mode of payment of refund amount to you (whether through cash, e-wallets, bank transfers, or cheques), shall be determined at the sole discretion of TLOW.
Notwithstanding anything stated in the Terms & Conditions, there are no refunds of any kind, provided for ‘Camping Trips’.
For more information on cancellation & refund policy please read our T&C.