Thailand is a South Asian country mostly famous for its beaches, the leisure, amazing hotels and what not!! When you visit Thailand as a tourist you always be mesmerized. Bangkok being the capital is the home to temples, sky train, night life, etc. major language spoken here is English. The official language of Thailand is Thai. As there is a major crowd of tourist coming from Europe, America and Asia, the major people speak English. For the tourist who visit major cities like Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Samui, etc there is less need to learn Thai Language. But if a person has to visit interiors of Thailand, he has to know the hooks and crooks of Thai language or atleast the basics of Thai Language to survive.
However, English is the language that’s spoken widely you should know the basics of Thai language to create an extra impression on the locals. Thai language is considered to be unique other than any foreign languages which has more than 5 voice modulations i.e high, moderate, medium, soft, rising, falling.
So atleast trying to learn Thai language, putting efforts is the main task. So lets try and learn a few basics of Thai Language:
Tip no. 1: For males, end the sentences with Khrup or Krap. And if you are a female then use Ka and Kap.
So lets start learning Baics of Thai Language:
- Hello: Sawadee Khrup or Sawadee Ka.
- Yes: Chai Khrup or Chai Ka.
- No: Mai Khrup or Mai Ka.
- How are you: Sa bai deenai khrup/ka.
- Maybe: Aaj ja Khrup or Aaj ja Ka .
- Thank You: Khop khun Khrup or Khop Khun Ka.
- Where is the restroom: Hong nam yoo tee nai Khrup or Hong nam yoo tee nai Ka.
- I need a doctor: Phom dong gaan hai mor maa raak sa khrup/ka.
- No worries: Mai pen rai.
- Can you speak English: Kun pood paasaa anggrit dai mai.
- Sorry: Khor Thoad khrup/ka.
- Good bye: La gorn khrup/ka.
- How much does this cost: Ra ka tao rai khrup/ka.
- Will you give me discount: Ga ru na lot ra ka hai noi khrup/ka.
- That’s expensive: Paeng mak Khrup/ka.
- I would like to order: sang aa-haan.
- Delicious: Aroy.
- Neung, song, sam, si, ha, hok, chet, paet, gow, sip: 1 to 10.
These are more than enough Thai words that you should need to know before visiting Thailand and to gain the attention of the street crowd.