Thamel is a visitor friendly area and it is a must visit place if you are a night person as this place is the city’s main nightlife zone. It is a commercial neighbourhood located in Kathmandu. It is is the hottest spot for tourists in the Kathmandu valley.
From the last four decades, Thamel is said to be the tourist industry in Kathmandu. Earlier artists used to visit this place and used to stay here for weeks from the start of hippie days. Thamel is mainly known by its night life as it has so beautiful caffes which plays live music and other attractions for locals and tourists on Friday and Saturday. Thamel is crowded with number of shops and vendors.
It has every facility that you can get in normal cities like transports auto rickshaw, bicycles, taxis etc and other like budget hotels, restaurants, street food etc. Thamel is also said to be as the base-camp for mountaineers. If you are planning to visit this place there are some points which will tell you that things you should definitely do in Thamel –
- Shopping: Thamel has number of shops and street vendors lining in the street. You can easily find restaurants, hotels, pub, travel agencies, jewellery shops and so on. You can have a casual sip of your favourite coffee or you can enjoy few drinks from pub and you will never have enough of this beautiful and joyous place. You can shop a little from here and can take some things as a good memories from this place.
- Night life: Thamel is a lively place 24/7. You can enjoy nightlife in Thamel if you’re in Kathmandu. Thamel is very much known for its night life as the cafe and restaurants play live music and other attractions full night on Friday and Saturday.
- Mountain hub: Thamel also serves as a pre-base camp for mountaineers. It boasts of a wide range of mountaineering gear shops and foreign exchange booths along with many travel agents and guesthouses.
- Lazy lanes: Thamel has some lanes inside the core which are vehicle free. You can enjoy the peace which is quite nice here for change you can have a walk or spend the quality time with your partner. This has drastically decreased the chaos and vehicle clutter.
- Flavour and food: There are limitless options for food. If you are a foodie person you can have any type of food here including local as well as Indian, Chinese and continental among others. Fire and ice is the famous restaurant for its traditional Italian-style stone-baked pizzas which is very delicious. When you travel to a different country you should always try local food and you can have Nepali food like Dal-Bhat and Gundruk Dhido which are very delicious and famous food of here. The cafe and restaurants have lively music with very friendly staff.
- Party time: Clubbing and bar hopping is something you can enjoy in Thamel as it has plenty of clubs for you if you’re dance lover. These clubs and bars have lively atmosphere and have rock bands to give you happy vibes.
- Indoor games: There are also some indoor activities you can enjoy in Thamel like wall climbing, archery, play station and other indoor sports.
- Bibliophile heaven: Book lovers will love to know that there plenty of book stores in Thamel like Paradise Book Seller, Pilgrim Book House, Himalayan Map house, Tibet Book store, and others.
- Find your zen: If you want to escape the commotion of Thamel for a while and spend some time relaxing in an open area, then the Garden of Dreams is the best place for you. It has beautiful fountains, pavilions, decorative garden furniture, pergolas, bird houses and others but to enter this garden you have to pay extra $2 which is totally worth it.
- Ride a rick: Take a rickshaw ride through the streets of Thamel at a low price to enjoy the full vibe of this place and take photos.