The picturesque Dhankar village is situated at a height of 12,800 feet between the towns of Tabo and Kaza. It is one of the beautiful villages in the cold desert of Spiti Valley. There is much to explore and experience in Dhankar.
- The Dhankar’s old monastery is 10 minutes from the new monastery guest house. The old monastery is perched on top of one of the mountains in Dhankar.
- Dhankar new monastery is also a state of art structure with the combination of ancient and modern architecture. It also has a guest house for travellers with most amenities.
- Dhankar lake is like the light at the end of the tunnel. It is approximately a 90-minute hike. After the hike, when you see the lake you’d be glad to come all the way to it. Its turquoise water will refresh you. Alongside the lake, you would get to see yak grazing.
- Dhankar has a specialty to offer its visitors and that is yak cheese pizza. You would find this at the new monastery guesthouse cafe. While playing some board games in the cafe, have a go at the yummy yak cheese pizza.
- Surprisingly, the dogs are not only furry but very friendly too! They will tag along with you whenever and wherever you go. The dogs are clean and hence don’t stop yourself from petting one.
- In Dhankar, you experience beauty from all sides. The Spiti river flows by the village, it is a mesmerising sight to see.
- Dhankar fort is not much explored as it is located inside the village. It’s at an uphill hike of about 10 minutes from the old monastery. The view of the village and Spiti river from the Dhankar fort is breathtaking and one should definitely experience this.
- Not many know and see the prayer room above the fort. Mostly closed, it opens only when a lama wants to pray in it. You’d feel lucky to find a lama, see the prayer room and also enlighten yourself with some knowledge on Buddhism and local life while conversing with the lamas.
- If you happen to stay at one of the few homestays in Dhankar, you’d be pleased with their hospitality and food. You’d experience that a simple bowl of lentil curry, rice and mixed vegetables never tasted this good before. Feast your heart out!
- Always wished to feel the sky filled with stars a little more close to you or to see a galaxy so clear that you couldn’t trust your eyes? Then this village would fulfill all your wishes on a clear sky day. You might find yourself lost in your thoughts just staring at the Milky Way with awe. After a sumptuous dinner, the star-studded sky makes it a perfect end for the beautiful beginning of that day.
–>For a similar experience, >>Click here
–>To plan a trip to Himachal Pradesh, >>Click here