Travelling is extremely therapeutic. Even though, you aren’t an occasional traveller, and just a recreational tourist, you need the alien surrounding and the strangeness to learn and unlearn things. People travel for various reasons, some to escape to places, some to escape from places, some to find and embrace themselves, some to practice the art of self-love and try to accept themselves. Some seek adventure and thrill while some seek peace and comfort. Some want to discover new lands and explore new traditions and culture while some just want to revisit their old friendships and make new memories.
When it comes to Self-care, most of the citizens overlook or take this aspect of life for granted. We are so busy running after our wants that we slip upon our needs. We have been so entangled by the societal construct and the already established norms that we often fail in practicing individualism and look beyond certain facets and ruminate.
We can take care of ourselves in various ways. We can follow a proper diet and do regular check-ups with the doctor to ensure our salubriousness. We can surround ourselves with good company who constantly motivate us and look after us. We can educate ourselves about worldly affairs and work on developing our knowledge. We can consistently practice gratitude and meditate to achieve the state of tranquility and peace.
Or, we can travel around learning and brimming our curiosity levels. While travelling in itself is an inception to the process of self-care, there are many aspects an individual has to keep in mind and saunter accordingly.
- Planning – Even spontaneity requires a certain level of planning. Being spontaneous does give us memories and stories but we require basic planning to deal with unforeseen consequences and circumstances. While travelling, anything can go wrong and our trip can go haywire. It is necessary that we are prepared for any outcome that may befall on us.
- Medical kit – Travelling to strange lands means exposing ourselves to foreign weather conditions, lifestyle, food habits and water. Our body doesn’t accept change immediately and can malfunction in the most unfortunate moment. It is sensible to be prepared for any illness or medical condition that we are subjected to and carry a medical kit with all the basic supply necessary.
- Exertion– It is understandable that time is less and we may not get another chance to properly cover an entire land. This doesn’t mean we exert ourselves over a limit that we cannot even embrace where we are due to the fatigue and exhaustion. Travel sensibly and wisely and categorize your days in such a way that at the end of the day you have time to soak in the foreign air.
- Information and knowledge– The most important facet of any trip is to research about the destination thoroughly so that you are prepared for any event. You should know almost everything about the country starting from the availability of food to the kind of strangers you will interact with. For instance, if by some unfortunate luck you are stranded and robbed by the roadside, you should be aware of the nearest police-station or help centre so that you can follow the required procedure.
- Be in touch– Be constantly in touch with your loved ones so that you have someone to operate from your country should anything bad befall over you. Even though you are travelling solo and are in a quest to find yourself. If you do need the aloof time, you just need to update your well-wishers once a day so that they can also be assured of your well-being and safety.
- Carry all the essentials– Make sure to carry all the essentials like tickets, identification cards, charger and powerbanks, emergency snack supplies, enough cash etc while travelling.