Kannada language, also called Kanarese or Kannana, is a member of the Dravidian language family and the official language of the state of Karnataka in southern India.
The language is also spoken in the states that border Karnataka and by significant linguistic minorities in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and abroad.
Early 21st-century census data indicated that some 38 million individuals spoke Kannada as their first language; another 9 to 10 million were thought to speak it as a secondary language. In 2008, the government of India granted Kannada classical language status.
Here are some basic words and phrases which you can use for better communication in the state of Karnataka and nearby places.
1. Hello -
The perfect word to start a conversation while on the road with a local. - Namaskāra
2. How are you?
3. I’m fine
- Nā calō adīni, nīvu hyāngadīr'ri
4. What’s your name?
- Ninna hesarēnu?
5. My name is.....
- Nanna hesaru ...
6. Where are you from?
- Athavā nēvu yāva kadeyavaru?
7. I’m from....
- Nā ... linda bandēni
8. Pleased to meet you
- Nimmannu bheti mādiddakke santosha
9. Good luck!
- Olleyadāgali athavā shubhavāgal !
10. Cheers! Good health!
- Tumba santosha athavā khushiyāytu!
11. Have a nice day!
- Shubha dinavāgali!
12. Have a good journey!
- Prayana sukhakaravaagirali hogi banni!
- Useful to know and say especially when in a sticky situation with a local.- - - Kshamisi
14. Thank you
- Another word that shoes your politeness and helps make things easier along the way. - Dhanyavādagaḷu
- Hogi banni athavā hogi bartēra
These words and phrases will help you to communicate with Kannada speakers. Now keep on practising and hear the audio of the word for correct pronunciations. This is easily available online. It's always better to hear words as it gives you a sense of the correct way to say them.
Text by Sumit Pande
-->For a similar experience, >>Click here