Manikaran is located in Parvati Valley on river Parvati, northeast of Bhuntar in the Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh. It is located about 35 kms ahead of Kullu at an altitude of 1760 m. Manikaran is a pilgrimage centre for Hindus and Sikhs.
It is believed to be a sacred area. It has many temples and a gurudwara which attracts a lot of tourists every year. There are many things to do in Manikaran which are mentioned below:-
1. Hot water springs:- It’s one of the most important thing to do in Manikaran. Taking a steam bath in the natural sauna of Parvati valley. It has various elements like uranium, sulphur and other radioactive elements that help to cure many diseases. The water is so hot that you can boil rice and pulses in it and the Gurudwara prepares ‘Langar’ with the help of this hot water.
2. Visit Manikaran Sahib:- This magnificent Gurudwara is the focal point of Manikaran. It is the main destination for Hindus and Sikhs. All over the year people from different places come here to pay respect to Manikaran Sahib. Serving Langar is there daily ritual and it is big enough to feed the needy one too.
3. Kulant Pith:- Kulant Pith is the most important Pith in all over the piths. It is believed that Lord Shankara liked this place due to which it is known as one of the most purest and holiest piths of all. It is also believed that eating food from it’s boiled water will take you to heaven. It’s also the most important thing to do if you visit Manikaran.
4. Take a Trek:- Manikaran is surrounded by mountains and there are numerous trek near Manikaran in which where you can go if you are looking for adventure on this trip. The treks are worth it and you can see the breath taking view from this.
5. Visit Lord Shiva Temple:- Visiting Lord Shiva temple is also one of the most important thing to do if you ever visit Manikaran because in Hinduism Lord Shiva is the biggest God. The temple will gives relief to your mental health and spirit. The most thing is you can boil the rice and pulses in a muslin bags, which is very unusual thing to do in Manikaran.
6. Explore Kasol and Manali:- If you’re planning to visit Manikaran, don’t stick it only. You can explore the beautiful and fascinating towns near it. Kasol is famous for one side roaring Parvati River and other side hills, and Manali is famous for it’s Buddhist monasteries.
7. Visit Malana:- Malana is located 20 kms north from Jari. It’s a remote town and people of this town don’t even touch people from outside world. The people of this town live a different culture and use different language of their own. They call themselves world’s oldest democracy. Even no outsider can touch temples which make this town unique in their own way.
8. Lord Ramchandra Temple:- This temple is known for it’s religious and historical significance as it was made in 17th century. The temple has 3 large halls and 40 rooms where devotees can stay. It was built by Raja of Kullu who himself brought this from Ayodhya to Kullu. You can enjoy celebration here if you visit here in the time of Dussehra and Ram Navmi.